Friday, March 02, 2007

Ten Most Influential (Con't)

Following up on the first five, published in the 2/16 blog, here's the rest from my personal Hall of Fame...

Charles Harrison -- Not exactly a household name, unless you happened to be an English major at Sewanee in the '50s and '60s, when he ruled that kingdom with an aristocratic hand and cultured voice. He was the most elegant gentleman I had ever encountered, who taught as though he had just come from conversations with Homer, Dante, and Shakespeare. They were on a first name basis. From Dr. Harrison (we called him "Chuck", but certainly not to his face) I was introduced to the beauty and rhythms of the English language, and, far more importantly, I learned how to read, slowly and thoughtfully, savoring each word, each sentence construction, as jewels in a crown. Truly a gift that keeps on giving.

Robert Frost -- Although we never met, I did hear him read his poetry one evening at Oberlin and heard him often on records and audio tapes. While the intricacies of poetics has always escaped me, I'll never forget being introduced to his powerful use of ordinary words and simple sentences. Frost is often put down as a "popularizer" of poetry, and while in the Higher Realms of literature that may be true, his clear voice remains with me still, down through these years. Besides which, he was one helluva baseball player.

Cliff Stanley -- Another of my teachers (interesting to note how many of the Top Ten are teachers), Dr. Stanley looked like Billy Graham, had a voice like Moses must have had, and taught Systematic Theology with a winsome sense of humor, no small feat. From him I learned the value of theology not as a musty set of rules but as a part of my faith and life. We'd often sit around his living room in the late afternoons (he was my faculty advisor in seminary), sipping on too strong coffee while he led us deeper and deeper into integrating theology into our lives, learning how to "think theologically".

Fr. Joe Martin -- He came into my life in the early '80s, shortly after it became apparent to me that alcohol was really calling the shots (unintentional pun) for me. A Roman Catholic priest and a recovering alcoholic for many years, Fr. Martin was a powerful, engaging, clever, and profound speaker, as well as a humble man who once said to me as we were parting (for the last time, as it turned out), "Bob, keep praying for me." He spoke of the power of this disease, both for the individual and the family, with a clarity and a passion that went right to my heart. I still do pray for him.

Sgt. McCaffrey -- I suppose he must have had a first name, but I've no idea what it was. What I do know is that he was my D.I. during the three summer months I went through boot camp at Parris Island, SC. Our whole platoon considered means of getting rid of him as he pushed us to the limits of physical endurance, taught us that there was a right and a wrong way to (among other things) fold underwear, and that discipline had something to do with learning. Years later we met again, at a bar in southern California, and I discovered the delightful man who was so hidden back then.

These then, are my Top Ten, whose influence has shaped my life. Perhaps on another day, another year, the list might be different, but for today this is it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home